I am Grateful - Dear Promoter - Spirit of Carnival

Tuesday, January 21, 2020









I don't even care for the lyrics in this song. ..

Yes We  are boasting about the things that make us all trinidadians! Its sweet yes, and its true.. "They can't party like weeee"" And throw in Kes and Voice...winning...


But,

Allyuh hear the base line in this song ????????????????

The singing base? I'm imagining a man, or better yet a woman, on a base pan, playing this arrangement and dancing like a Moko Jumbie in the Breeze! The Ritual of rhythm, and the skill of people born to to it. Sigh.

People still imagine songs for Pan?  I'm a woman that loves a minor key anyways....but the transitions lord!!

Allyuh hear the guitar? It raising the small hairs on the back of my neck....It's so amazing it hurts...

The arrangement? The call and echo between the bridges and verses?

I know what it is..

It's the return of Soca (Kaiso?) that makes you crave something,..that thing,...that THING.. that been missing from carnival....(for me at least)

Its a Spirit i think. A spirit of innovation, but bringing the ancestors, the history with it....Something

Something...spiritual??

Is that the word?

Of Spirit. Something Pretender and Maestro would be proud of.

Something large ...

Something larger than wine and jam and thongs and ass and stripper mentality mas, and nakedness...and  recycling and plastic costumes and asses ...STOP ( I heading on a tangent...rein it in)

Anyways....it's enough to make me cry. I'm not gonna lie it made me cry.

Like the first time I heard Stalin Kaiso Gone Dread or Kitchener Bee's Melody

And of course the anomaly.

The second verse, that thing that you never get to hear in Soca these days....When that second verse starts...i get chills..

i guess it makes me reminisce .....to the GOLDEN era of Carnival and Soca.

I am grateful

(but still bitter)




and yeah...I'm back.

#watchtheride





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Subscribe