Shadow is Dead....and I am mourning

Tuesday, October 23, 2018



The video after the jump is 1985.
I am 10 years old

I remember when I saw him I thought..
He cant be of this world
...He must be Magic.
..Trinidadian Magic.

I see Shadow, in a skeleton costume .. and cape in front of a crowd., singing his characteristic minor keys over a fully arranged (and executed) brilliant production (Roy Cape is another Genius).

He is dead panned face...and his ad libs are genius....

Look at the audience ...while he is stoic and still...the crowd is moving and in a trance..inspite of his... stillness.

This song is the perfect balance of percussion as word, rhythm, structure and Orchestra.

I think I loved Shadow because his preference was Minor Key.(My bias)

Genius. Eccentric, Tobagonian (Grew up in Les Coteaux) , Trin-bagonian, Talent.

My mom had to gently tell me this morning that he died. In fact quite a few friends had to gently let me know...

Why?? ....there are quite a few of our Icons of soca, no Kaiso, that feel like family to me...

Shadow was one of them.

I mourn how he used to honor our talents.
I mourn that to hear him I have to choose my Ipod stocks ( I have a cache), or play my dads records when I go home or resort to the bad quality overused versions on youtube.

I mourn how the art form is now mostly...I say mostly...flash and pop....

I guess change is inevitable...

But I hate how we lose the QUALITIES ...that made our music a singular, original, multi faceted Art form.

I think I'm mourning a Trinidad and Tobago that no longer exists..

I wonder if he felt misplaced??  Forgotten....
I pray he still felt his value...

Rest In Peace Shadow.












You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Subscribe