Repost!! Because I'm Back Here Today! Cure for Home Sickness - David Rudder - Song For a Lonely Soul

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Press Play

I get Homesick..often
In spite of the horror stories I read and hear about in Trinidad..
because as always Being home is a colored memory for me that may not always tie into the REALITY
I rely on my bloggers living in Trinidad to reconcile the Rose Colored Memory with the TRUTH of life at home..
But still i know in part that I live in illusion...

But some days I almost cry,
There is vice and evil everywhere..
Why not be in a place that requires no explanation of my needs and loves,
Of what is innate to me..?
That i can find joy in Just hearing a voice speak in a tone or say a phrase that can make my spirit warm ...?

Still some days I cry...

I miss the sounds of rain...
Somehow its different at home
I miss the smell of a temporarily clean world after the rain..
I love to hear men call out to each other in passing..
and unlike the sisters that Live there now..
I miss the little hail up from a random man in the street...
In our trini cadence...
"Ey Sweetness...."
[they might not be saying that now]
But Rudder Helps...in particular today

Song for a Lonely Soul...[how apropos]
Song For a Lonely Soul
Soca music take me back to my island [x 4]
Oh how I long for island breezes and to see..
My woman roll like a steel drum solo ringing through a calypso night
Don’t get me wrong, this big city really made a man of me
But a concrete jungle drum can’t play no calypso
No no no
Soca music take me back to my island.

A mind excursion it can take me
To a far off country road
Sticky mango juice, running down my naked chest
And sturdy people who can still smile a mile into their pain
Put their shoulders to the wheel
And their Gods will do the rest
And in the end, they will pass the test
Soca music take me back to my island.

Trinity mountains, Trinity mountains calling me home
Making me high, calling me home, making me high
Sing a soca melody, you can sing it and be free
Sing a happy soca melody my friend, sing a soca melody
You can sing it and be free
And in this freedom, there will be no end
Soca music take me back to my island.
In particular for me...
growing up in Tobago, Signal Hill Alumni Choir was a pride and joy
To hear them sing , all genres, was a pore raising, awe inspiring , pride inducing thing.
My Mom worked with them when I was growing up...so I got to see the inner workings of the choir. Rehearsal was a treat..I would sit on the floor of the stage while they surrounded the piano..and John Arnold the director then would piece together the Complex melodies..and then the MOVES! Perfect! 

I was lucky to perform with them , either in joint productions with my steelband, or with the dance company [Children's Academy of Dance...now TAPA and the now defunct NDTC] or representing Tobago in the Inter Island Cultural Shows..[haha..i remember dancing in a number, changing to play pan, and then changing back to go dance again..anyways ah Rambling..lol...follow the ramble]

The chorus behind Rudder is ALWAYS the Alumni Choir...regardless of who it really is..i think I heard them do this song once...it brought me to Tears..[I cry too damn much .maybe cause I'm Pisces..hahaha]. I see faces I know..and know me..And the music just seems Elevated here..

Anyways...Rudder
Ever Rudder..
More than Music and Melody..
Its like a Psalm..
Cooling to the senses..
He refers DIRECTLY to me..
Reverence to all the things that make MY Existence important and beautiful, My TRIN-BAGONIAN existence..
Thank you Rudder..
You restore me..


----------------
Now playing: David Rudder - Song for a Lonely Soul
via FoxyTunes

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Subscribe