Dark Days

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Machel Montano and David Rudder have penned the song "Oil and Music "that evokes a lot of emotion in me.
I had an almost religious experience when I saw them perform at Madison Square Garden this year.
The lyrics in particular resonate with me and at random moments i hold on to random lyrics that take me down different paths.

In one of the ad libs King David Rudder Sings...

Listen what Im tellin you.
This is about we Trinidad
Not the one that make we blue
But the one we love too bad..

I soo associate with these words

there is so much to love about Trinidad.
So much that I'm proud of
But sometimes the barrage of stories about violence and crime and depravity there...
makes me wonder if these are not the DARK days for Trinidad..

My memories of home are colored i think..
i see happy, friendly people..
quick to lime and laugh..
quiet places and honest hard working people...
Culture everywhere...
artistic, talented genuine people..

But still the dark pervades even that rose colored perception..

it brings one of my favourites to mind, especially with its pointed reference to Carnival

Martin Carter

This is the dark time, my love,
All round the land brown beetles crawl about
The shining sun is hidden in the sky
Red flowers bend their heads in awful sorrow
This is the dark time, my love,
It is the season of oppression, dark metal, and tears.
It is the festival of guns, the carnival of misery
Everywhere the faces of men are strained and anxious
Who comes walking in the dark night time?
Whose boot of steel tramps down the slender grass
It is the man of death, my love, the stranger invader
Watching you sleep and aiming at your dream.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Subscribe