Derek Walcott's New Book - White Egrets

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I accept anonymous Christmas Presents.
This Review is not by me. 
For the full Source

These are excerpts from Kathy Kellaway's review :

In this collection, he is writing his own valediction (a risky undertaking).
He wonders whether, at the age of 80, these poems might be his last. 
He explains that if he felt his gift had "withered", he would "abandon poetry like a woman because you love it/ and would not see her hurt, least of all by me….
It is an uncomfortable expression of a painful thought but he pulls himself together to conclude:
"be grateful that you wrote well in this place,/ let the torn poems sail from you like a flock/of white egrets in a long last sigh of relief ".
Walcott even refers to himself as an "egret-haired Viejo".
And there is no need to shy away from the observation that egret is only one letter away from regret – Walcott does not resist the rhyme. 
His particular regret is about unrequited love – the keen humiliation of the old man who falls for a younger woman: 
"It is the spell/ of ordinary, unrequited love. Watch these egrets/stalk the lawn in a dishevelled troop, white banners/ forlornly trailing their flags; they are the bleached regrets/of an old man's memoirs, their unwritten stanzas./ Pages gusting like wings on the lawn, wide open secrets."
I MUST HAVE THIS!!! I MUST I MUST.
I know I'm late...published since March. 
And uhm...








I want the HARD COVER Please.  



*I said please*


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Subscribe